Wednesday, January 22, 2014

High School Musical (2006)

French title in Canada:
“High School Musical:
First Steps on the Stage”
Directed by: Kenny Ortega
Written by:  Peter Barsocchini
Starring: Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale
Running Time: 1 hour, 38 minutes
Rating: G

Pre-Conceived Notions: Two things come to mind when I think of High School Musical. First, that it is the Grease for the Millennials, and second, Pretty White Kids with Problems, a sketch MADTV did a long time ago spoofing shows like Dawson’s Creek, 90210, The OC, and many other shows of that time period. So, High School Musical, in my mind, is an extension of that.

But like Peyton Place, I have sort of a secondhand connection with this film. I traveled with Up with People in the latter half of 2008, and one of the cities we performed in was Salt Lake City, Utah. More specifically Murray, Utah, in the exact high school where some of the gym and performance scenes were filmed. So,  I can say that I have performed on the same stage as Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens. 

Why I Haven't Seen This Film: I had a chance to see this film. I even had the chance to see this film in the theater where the theater scenes were filmed. But, I was 29 at the time and not really a part of the movie’s target demographic. And with things like free Swedish massages and a human slot machine going on in the other room, who has time for the most meta moviegoing experience ever to take place on the planet, ever? Not me, that’s who.

1 hour, 38 minutes later…: This movie was corny. This movie was really, painfully, “kill me now, Universe, because I don’t want to live anymore,” corny. Auto tune was over-used, the acting was mediocre, and if the drama teacher said, “musi-CALE” one more time, I might have had to replace my laptop because sometimes when I get hot under the collar, I act like the Hulk and start indiscriminately breaking things. But, I take a deep breath, and tell myself that this is a Disney Channel movie. It wasn’t made for me. 

And then I remembered who this movie was made for. I remember all the high school kids I subbed for, and I remember how ridiculously cliquey high school was, and then I rewatch the movie in my mind, and realize there’s a solid message buried beneath all that cinematic, Disnified high fructose corn syrup. And it’s a message all high school age kids should hear at that age: Be yourself. You like to bake? You want to attempt crème brûlée? There’s nothing stopping you. You want to be a hip-hop dancer? Do that. Life is for the living, and only you can live that life. Because after high school, after you all leave the safety of your clubs and your teams and all that, it’s all going to be a memory, and you’re going to be on your own. So, dare to be you, because if you’re authentically you, there’s nothing in this world you can’t do.

Okay. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I need to end this post. Quickly.

Final Thoughts: 3 out of 6 slices of pizza. It was really cool recognizing the theater in those scenes. I actually remember that wall of pipes and pullies and stuff backstage. The acting was meh, the writing was cartoonish, but what saves it from getting nothing but an empty pizza box is the message so many young people need to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment