Sunday, December 8, 2013

Super Troopers (2001 or 2002)

Hungarian title:
Fucking Patrol
Director: Jay Chandrasekhar   
Written by: Black Lizard
Starring: Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme
Running Time: 1 hour, 43 minutes
Rating: R

Pre-Conceived Notions: My first impression from watching the trailer: Police Academy times 10. The film only gets a 35% at Rotten Tomatoes, and the little blurb underneath is as hilarious as the trailer:
“A more-miss-than-hit affair, Super Troopers will most likely appeal to those looking for something more silly.” 
You think? Are you sure the producers and the director of this movie weren’t going for something more deep? Like, were they aiming for the next Attica and totally missed the mark? If that’s the case, it has go down in the annals of Hollywood history as the most unintentionally hilarious failure. My suggestion would be for Broken Lizard to shoot for the next The English Patient. That would be off da chain!
Why I Haven't Seen This Film: This movie was kind of on my radar, but not really. I’ve had a lot of conversations wherein people have come up to me and said, “You should really see Super Troopers, man!” And after mentioning how cool it was that they made their voice go all italics like that, I’d always say, “It sounds like a really funny movie,” and completely forget about it. Until now.
Trivia: Netflix and Rotten Tomatoes have this movie released in 2002, whereas IMDb and Wikipedia say 2001.

1 hour, 43 minutes later… Wow… This is my first review on here, and already I have to eat crow. I can see what the critics meant by “A more-miss-than-hit.” To me, a good comedy is a mix of different things: there should be a blend of wit and gratuitous humor. People who know me may argue that I loved the Naked Gun series, and that was gratuitous humor. And they would be absolutely right. But Naked Gun, and the brilliance of Leslie Nielsen, took its humor and played it straight. There were no signs pointing to the jokes that said, “THESE ARE JOKES. PLEASE LAUGH.” The Zucker brothers had more confidence in the intelligence of their audience. Whereas this movie was the opposite. It was all in-your-face, brutal yet very simple comedy. It was like they were laughing at themselves as they were filming the movie. Comedy that is doubled over and laugh-wheezing at its own jokes falls flat. And then there was Lynda Carter thrown in there for good measure, because Wonder Woman cameo.
Final Thoughts: Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind for this movie, but everything seemed really really forced. I thought I had an all-encompassing sense of humor, but apparently not. I give this movie 3.5 out of 8 slices of pizza. Good try with the comedy, guys, but I guess I’m too square to have enjoyed any of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment